How to make a Shin Beef Cottage Pie
Ever wondered how to make the perfect cottage pie? To celebrate Beef Week, Provenance Inns would like to share with you our beautiful Shin Beef Cottage Pie recipe! This recipe has been taken from our Scrumptious Seven Lunch & Early Doors menu, so if you fancy sitting back and relaxing, let our chefs cook this beautiful dish for you. Find more about this menu by clicking on the button below.
710g Beef Shin
110g Bacon Lardons
20g Plain Flour
2 sticks of Celery (diced)
800g Red skinned potatoes
250ml double cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
140g Shallots (diced)
710ml Beef Stock
2 Sprigs each Thyme & Bay Leaf
140g Carrots (diced)
20ml Worcestershire Sauce
01. Brown beef in the oil in a large pan and then remove. Tip in the lardons, diced shallots and celery, and fry for 10 minutes until soft and golden. Stir in the flour until absorbed, then add in the beef stock gradually, followed by the Worcestershire sauce.
02. Add in the herbs and return the beef and any juices back into the pan. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add diced carrots and then cover and simmer for 1 hour more until tender.
03. To make the mashed potato, peel and cut the potatoes to equal sizes, cover with water and add salt. Boil until soft then drain and allow to air dry for 10 minutes. Boil the cream and butter together and put to one side. Mash the potato using a potato masher. Add the cream & butter mix to get the right consistency. Season with salt and white pepper. Put in a piping bag ready for piping.
04. Heat oven to 200°C Gas mark 6 / 180° Fan. Strain the beef and vegetables into a large colander over a deep pan. Set sauce over a high heat for 5 minutes to reduce. Shred the beef into chunky pieces and transfer to a large baking dish with vegetables and bacon lardons, then add the thickened sauce.
05. Pipe on the mashed potato and bake for 30 minutes until the mashed potato is golden and crisp.
If you have had a go at making this at home and proud of your cottage pie, send a photo to email@example.com to be in with a chance of winning A Scrumptious Seven meal for two for free*
*Drinks not included in this prize